On the Rocks

September 21,  2017 | Issue #701


Thankfully our annual Frio River trip pulled me out of town this past weekend.  We typically go after the last holiday weekend when things slow down up there.  The trip was a great time as always, giving us a chance to commune with the majestic bald cypress trees along the river.  We always take the light fly rods and harass the native perch and bass in the cool waters.  The great thing about this trip was that it made us forget about the ongoing situation down on the coast.  Like many people, the stress was taking its toll on many of us.  I know many of you in Port Aransas, Rockport, and surrounding communities are still struggling daily.  Please take the time as soon as you can and take a break and get out of town just for a couple days.  It will do your mind wonders.


Speaking of needed distractions, the 2017 Babes on Baffin Ladies only fishing tournament will be held as regularly scheduled (Columbus Day weekend) on October 7th.  There is still time to sign up, and all late fees are being waived, so go ahead and sign up at www.babesonbaffin.org there is contact information, forms, and the rules and regulations on the website.  This year’s winners will have a combined team stringer of a trout, redfish, and a black drum, with individual awards for biggest fish of each and Guided and Non-guided divisions.  Come on out and say hi when you see me helping out.  The live weigh-in is a sight to see, and almost all fish are donated to the CCA/MDC Fish Hatchery to be used for brood stock, or for the Kidfish ponds.


Another great distraction this is coming up is the 13th annual Sharkathon fishing tournament the weekend after Babes on October 13-15th.  You loyal readers know that this very popular shore-based fishing tournament brings a lot of people to town who spend money all over the place.  Port A could definitely use some business about now.  The boundaries are opened up again, from the Port Aransas south jetty to the Mansfield north jetty, and everywhere in between.  Curtis tells me that the tournament has not quite sold out yet, so if you’re still thinking about entering you need to get off the fence sooner than later and go to Sharkathon.com and get going on it.  Sharkathon of course is a non-profit tournament, and there is a full pay-out of prize money, including a tarpon pot.  The money raised during the raffle of donated items raises a bunch of money as well, and last year Sharkathon donated $10,000 to the educational programs down on the Seashore for Ranger Buzz’s group to bring in school kids and teach them about the wonders and fragility of the beach ecosystems.  This is a win-win-win kinda deal folks.


And the distractions continue!  If you didn’t know it already, this weekend is the South zone season opener for dove birds.  Time to get the shotguns back out and head into the farm fields and brush of south Texas and chase the palomas.  If you’ve never been dove hunting, you should look into it.  This tradition brings together friends, family, businesses, coworkers, clients, and even complete strangers in the pursuit of a fun time.  It’s really more about the comradery than it is actual wing shooting (at least that’s what Tyler says, “ it’s all about the fellowship”).


Well loyal readers, I hope this finds you all getting back to normal.  As I write this, Hurricane Maria is pounding Puerto Rico and Mexico just had a heck of an earthquake.  The devastation seems to just keep rolling.  While some of us are starting to realize some sense of normalcy post hurricane Harvey, many are still not in a comfortable place.  Help is still needed at the other end of the Island, and cleanup efforts are continuing.  Thanks for those that have helped, and please help out if you can.  Drop me a line at tarponchaser@mail.com I’ll see you On the Rocks

September 14,  2017 | Issue #700


The cleanup efforts continue around the coastal bend.  People still need help clearing debris, trees, and cutting out wet sheetrock.  Efforts are being organized by Church Unlimited, and also by the Port Aransas Clean up Effort, which can be found on the Facebooks and through the Zello app.  Groups will be headed out again this weekend, so if you can, please head on out there and give a hand.  The cleanup efforts here will continue over the coming months; this isn’t a sprint people, there’s tons of work still to be done.  Nicole Boyer at the City says they need “manpower, manpower, manpower.”  Help if you can please loyal readers.


Talk about getting your feeders up!  This weekend was to have been the 29th annual Hummerbird Celebration, which was obviously canceled due to the hurricane.  This festival typically coincides with a pre-migration of hummingbirds that literally blanket the area up there.  The big issue (besides the cancelation of the festival) is the fact that nearly all the vegetation in the Rockport area has been stripped of leaves and flowers.  The hummingbirds are showing up in the area with very few sources of food.  If you or someone else is headed up there, send a spare hummingbird feeder with lots of food.  The videos I’ve seen of people with feeders up is unreal.  If you had tickets to the festival, you can either donate your tickets or hold on to them for next year, which is scheduled to be the 30th annual, bigger and better.  Check out how to help at www.rockport-fulton.org/HB

I just got an update from Jace out at the ARK; he says that some donations are coming in, so let’s keep that going.  The big debris has been cleared, and contractors are starting to come around to give bids.  They are trying to get power back up, and a plumber is headed to the ARK to try to get water flows re-established.  They are hoping to be able to move back in within 3 weeks.  They still could use donations, which can be made at www.friendsoftheark.org


With the hurricane, there have been increased reports about coyotes wandering around Padre Isles.  You loyal readers know I’ve written about coyotes for years; they are a fact of life on our Island.  You can help reduce their temptation to interact with people with a few simple pointers; don’t leave cat or dog food out on the porch, especially with all the fences being down, keep your cat Fluffy inside, and don’t leave garbage or other food sources around for them to easily find.  Killing or trapping them is not the answer, as other wayward coyotes will just fill in behind those removed, and they will increase their litter size.  They’re here to stay, just don’t give them free handouts and that will keep their numbers down and reduce their incentive to interact with us.

Reports are that the mouth of Packery Channel benefitted from a large ebb tide from the storm that pulled the plug out of the channel and into the longshore currents.  Carter and Brud reported 7-9’ all the way out the long stretch, which is very helpful at a time when dredging was becoming imperative due to the shallow depths.  Seems we’ve bought some time.  The next pass to the south, however, is in need of some dredging.  Mansfield Cut at the southern end of the Seashore is shoaling in, and also has some new bling adorning her southern jetty.  The M/V Gulf Justice ran aground in the channel while attempting to out-run the hurricane.  As of this writing, she’s still there, abandoned, and I haven’t heard of any plans to remove her.  One thing is sure, the sand in the Mansfield Cut needs to be placed on the Seashore or the north jetty will become cut off.  Hopefully there’s not a storm, but I’m thinking in another year the damage will start to occur at a high rate of speed.


Well loyal readers, I hope that you are getting back to some semblance of normalcy.  I know I was shell shocked for a while, and some folks still are.  It’s definitely heartwarming to see the outpouring of efforts continue.  Drop me a line at tarponchaser@mail.com and I’ll see you On the Rocks.

September 7,  2017 | Iss0ue #699


I don’t even know where to begin loyal readers.  The loss of life and property due to Hurricane Harvey was, and still is, staggering.  I don’t need to tell you that entire communities have been disrupted, and that things may never be the same.  While many will rebuild, some will opt-out, and decide not to.  This will effect relationships, community structure, and the future of our coastal towns.  While we are tough and will re-

build, Harvey will leave an indelible mark on us all.


I’m so very tired.  While I was mostly spared and only lost trees, some siding, and a part of the barn roof, I was one of those “95 percenters” that didn’t have power for over a week.  Living on the generator was sure fun.  I still don’t have hot water at this point, as I think a power surge fried the board on my tankless heater.  Showers have been brisk lately, LOL.  At least I have a place to shower, and consider myself lucky.  Kudos to the linemen who are even now still restoring power in the area, as well as all the neighbors helping neighbors and other volunteers that have showed up and worked.  It’s really been amazing to see.

We lost an icon this past week with Tony Amos, who passed away Sunday.  He had been a larger-than-life hero of the beach and the local wildlife for as long as I can remember around these parts.  Who knows how many birds, turtles, and other animals that he rehabilitated over his career.  Tony dedicated himself to oceanography, coastal studies, education, and of course rehabilitating animals.  He will be sorely missed, and he leaves big shoes to fill.  Tony and I shared similar views on the causes of upwelling and red tides, and had many discussions about things at Shorty’s over the years.


One of Tony’s legacies could use some serious help though.  I know we’re all still shell-shocked, but there has been a mass outpouring of support from around Texas, and I would like to take this chance to put the word out.  You all know that Port Aransas took a beating; so did the ARK (or Animal Rehabilitation Keep) that Tony has built out at UTMSI over the years. I was visiting with Jace Tunnell, the Director of the Mission Aransas National Estuarine Research Reserve (MANERR), and he says that there was major damage to all bird related enclosures, the netting around the pelican enclosure that houses around 40 birds, and the big turtle tank cover is mangled (a $16K item that needs to be replaced).  The walk-in freezer was damaged with the doors basically ripped off, and he hopes that they can be found and the freezer isn’t damaged beyond that.  As you all know, a walk-in freezer ain’t cheap!  He also said that the bird hospital needs a new roof, as well as the turtle building.  Four refrigerators and two freezers were lost, along with an ice machine and a washer and dryer.  None of the items mentioned are covered by insurance and will all have to be replaced/repaired through donations.  Jace is currently the acting point of contact for anyone wanting to help out, donate, or volunteer.  The best way to donate cash is through the non-profit that Tony set up, Friends of the ARK on their website at www.friendsoftheark.org


Speaking of animals, Rockport, along with other communities, was also ravaged, including the vet clinics.  As soon as I got power back on at my place, I sent my generator up there to the Thompson’s (Companion Vet Clinic, basically across the street from Walmart) and they were able to start maintaining some hours up there to take care of the furry inhabitants as well.


There was some major damage to the Packery Channel walls, specifically the cabled revetment on the south side.  Now, more than ever, we have got to get it together and get the TIRZ #2 sorted out, old projects finished, and get it re-authorized with new projects, and maybe a new boundary.  Hopefully there’s enough money in it to fix the damages and move on.  Drop me a line at tarponchaser@mail.com and I’ll see you On the Rocks.


August 17,  2017 | Iss0ue #696


I emailed our buddy Ranger Buzz a couple weeks ago regarding some history of the park, specifically on Yarborough Pass.  Due to the recent closure of the road going back to the pass, I figured I would do a little research in support of re-opening the road.  Buzz sent me “The Administrative History of the Seashore” which is a real page-turner, you were right about that Buzz, but thanks anyway.  Obviously, the road has lots of history, since even before the Seashore was designated.  Some called it Murdock’s landing, as boats would go in and out of there before the ICWW was dredged.  There were a few shacks, and a small trading post.  The boat ramp was used by commercial and recreational fishermen alike before the advent of large outboards and the usage of Bird Island Basin. Bird Island was reclaimed from the Chevron Company in 1975 when they shut down their operations there and the Park Service reinstated their rights to the road.  That move took a lot of pressure off the ramp at Yarborough, and without usage, it started to silt in.


Besides Yarborough, some of the maps I came across showed a few things that I was unsure about, such as the location of the old fording location that was used to drive cattle across the laguna; it was basically around the end of Whitecap, going in a southwesterly direction in a fairly straight line to pretty much Pita Island.  The maps also showed the precise location of the Navy bombing ranges, and if you know what you’re looking for, you can see evidence of them even today on GoogleEarth.  One of the maps showed that the north bombing range was actually where Padre Isles is today!


The next range south was called the “Caffey” range, north of where the park is today, the “Duck” bombing range south of today’s entrance, “Eddy” just north of Yarborough, and then “Fido” which is north of Green Hill.  Besides general strafing runs, sometimes another airplane would tow a target and have other airplanes shoot at the target (sounds really safe to me! NOT!).  Occasionally, the towing planes would drop their targets (I would have dropped mine straight off the runway!)  Robert Whistler, who was Chief Park Naturalist until around 1980, did an interview with Louis Rawalt regarding the bombing ranges.  Evidently Louis’s wife Viola would use the targets that the planes towed behind them to make clothes out of, being of “good nylon and hemp rope.”


Reading the plan, there’s a lot that DIDN’T happen with Padre Island National Seashore.  A back island highway system was not built all the way to South Padre.  The Park does not have two units; north and south of Mansfield Cut.  There is not a Ranger station across from the wreck of the Nicaragua.  There is not a ferry at Mansfield Channel.  The middle section of the Park is not a Classs VI historic and cultural area (would be off-limits to the public).  There are no private cabins on the laguna in the Park (they were burned down by the Rangers.).  The HQ is no longer in Flour Bluff (used to be on SPID where a nursery stands at 10025 SPID).  And currently, there is no concessionaire at the Park offering boat rentals, food, camping equipment, or fishing gear (although I saw an advertisement for an ice vender in the Moon a while back.)


Anyway, reading the old books and plans puts you in direct contact with history.  Of course, there is a lot about the history of the Seashore on their website at www.nps.gov/pais/index.htm  If you know of any other great resources for the Seashore’s history, shoot me an email at tarponchaser@mail.com and I’ll get back to you.  Thanks again Ranger Buzz, and I’ll see you On the Rocks!

August 10, 2017 | Issue #695


I flew into Fort Lauderdale last week, and it was raining.  Like a lot.  I jumped in the rental, and headed south towards the Keys.  It kept raining.  When I got close to Homestead, it was still raining.  I thought that was pretty weird, so I turned on the radio, and sure enough, I started to hear chatter about “Tropical Storm Emily”.  Dang it.  Perfect timing for my vacation, a storm.  I hadn’t heard a peep about it until I was soaking in it.


The rain cleared over the next few days, and we finally got out and around, and got into a few fish out on the reefs, including a very mixed bag on the reef to the south of Sombrero.


We picked through monster needlefish, a scrawled filefish, a rouge bonita, and a variety of small groupers to get a few nice yellowtail snapper.


The next day we headed out again in the Atlantic to do some trolling and deep dropping for swordfish.  Trolling was slow, with a decent mahi and a small white marlin that came unbuttoned after 3-4 jumps.  Bottom dropping for swordfish ended with one weak bite and no hook ups.  The storm had pushed all the sargassum way offshore and there were no rips to speak of.  But it was the nicest day on the water we had.


We eventually started fishing on the Gulf side because the winds had come up really strong out of the north and we were pinned against the Keys unless we wanted to rattle the teeth out of our heads.  We found some protection in the lee of one of the bridges, and got in to do a little snorkeling.  Of course, I had brought my underwater camera, with some brand new SD cards for the trip, but should have tried them at home; my camera didn’t recognize them.  So no underwater shots the entire trip.  Boo!


We made up for it with plenty of top water shots though, and opportunities were plentiful, as the fishing finally cooperated towards the end of the trip.  The schoolmaster snapper and grey (mangroves) snapper were hungry after the storms had pushed through the area.  We constantly caught fish, and got better at it each day.  I caught and released a blue parrotfish, which was pretty interesting.


We bombed out to a shoal one day out in the middle of nowhere, and did some snorkeling in some grass beds.  We then got the bright idea to tow each other behind the boat while holding onto the kids tube, and looking underwater.  That was better than television!  Of course the boat ran all the fish off before we got towed over them, but effortlessly watching the bottom was pretty cool.


On the last day we smashed the snappers again, directly under the bridge in Vaca Cut, there in Marathon.  Matt decided that he wanted to try the other side for a minute, but in setting the anchor, we were swinging the boat close to someone’s dock.  That turned out to be a happy mistake, as the owners came out, talked to us, we traded for beers, and they invited us over for a dock party later.  We made some new friends, Sam and Lisa, and had a great time hanging out and getting to know each other and swapping fish tales.  I’m sure we’ll see them again next time down that way.


Well loyal readers, it’s hot out there, and the weather is unstable.  Supposedly we’re getting another little disturbance in the force that is supposed to make landfall in northern Mexico later this week.  Drop me a line at tarponchaser@mail.com and I’ll see you On the Rocks, unless I get washed off by the waves.  At least the surf is up.



We are rounding the corner into August, and it’s almost time for the teachers to head back and get their classrooms ready (Boo!) and then the kids will be a week or so behind them (yay! Back in school!).  Last minute vacations to the coast will swell traffic and visitors to area beaches, so just hold on for a few more weeks and things will slow down, before the last blitzkrieg of Labor Day, which will be on us sooner than you think.


Oyster Regulation Changes

The Texas Parks and Wildlife (TPWD) is moving down the road with some very important proposed regulation changes to the oyster industry here in Texas.  You folks know that I’ve written about needed changes for several years, and this past year saw the oyster fishermen in places they shouldn’t have been, doing things that they shouldn’t have in order to make a dollar.  Some of the proposed changes include reducing the sack limit from 40 to 25, closing Mondays, lowering the limit on undersized oysters from 15% to 5%, closing certain portions of bays (notably Christmas Bay up the coast), and my favorite, closing oystering within 300 feet of shorelines.  Most of you know that I’ve been calling for oyster leases, which would change the face of oystering from a derby race to harvest everything they can, to more of an aquaculture scenario, which would impart more of a custodial future to the users of our bays.  We’re not quite there yet, but the proposed changes would definitely help.  There are several public meetings on August 7th, in Port Lavaca, Galveston, and Rockport.  More importantly, you can get online, read all about the history and proposed changes, and provide comments here .


Tufted Titmice sticking around

I’m really surprised that I still have some various bird species around.  There are still several roving packs of lesser American goldfinches hanging around the yard, and I heard some others in town the other day.  Also, I think the tufted titmice fledged another batch somewhere, as I had no less than seven of them hanging around the bird feeder as well.  And yesterday I finally saw two buff bellied hummingbirds at my feeder at one time, so I’m guessing that there are two nests nearby.  The kiskadees are also thick, and I swear I had a Jets vs. Sharks gang-fight in the yard the other day with two troops making one heck of a racket in my yard.  There have definitely been some breeding range extensions over the past couple of years.  Keep those feeders going folks.


Hope y’all are enjoying Shark Week on Discovery.  James and Dani had their own shark week adventure last week, as well as Oz and Alexis who both landed large hammerhead sharks lately.  It’s a testament of these folks who are able to hook, fight, land, and especially release in good conditions sharks of this size.  Awesome!


Well folks, that’s it for this week and likely next week.  I’m headed east for a few days of fishing and adventures, and may not make it back in time to crank out my weekly installment riveting drivel. Ha!  Howdy to Acoastalbender and Bigrebar.  Y’all be safe and I’ll see you On the Rocks.


We all held our breath as we crested the last stretch of asphalt as we hit the sand down on the Seashore at first light.  That first glimpse of the water always holds something magical, as if the first sight of the beach is the first sight of land for a sailor, or a coming up to a mountain stream teeming with rainbow trout after a 10 mile hike.  We all exhaled and started giggling as we saw th


Somewhere in the 20’s, we started to see structure that we all liked.  Tyler and I reviewed our terminology (as most people have different definitions for a “pinch”, or “cusp”, or “choke”) to get on the same page about what we were looking for.  We slowly found a few pinches, and got a few blow-ups, with Tyler striking first blood with a decent trout.  We leap-frogged down the beach from structure to structure, with only a few fish to show for it. Around the 30’s, Tyler and I remembered that there was a piece of structure right about the time we were pulling by it.  Roadkill got out and struck first, and then it was limits of trout with a couple of redfish for good measure.  It was a great day to be out on the beach, and the banter went on all day while catching fish and missing topwater blow ups.

It was so much fun, that on our way off, we joked about coming back down the next day.


Well, guess what we did?  After the second night of about 4.5 hours of sleep, we were up at 5am and headed back down to give it another shot.  Sunday was cloudy, and we were hoping that the clouds would extend the morning bite.  We tried the same places, but the bite was off and it sort of took the wind out of our sails.  But, then we had a nice visit with James and Dani, saw Oz, and a few other “regulars” down the beach.  We were sort of working our way north when we realized that we were in the vicinity of the back Island road.  None of us had been back there in years, and sure enough, the entrance was still there.  Now, I will caution you newbies and loyal readers that haven’t been back there, BE CAREFULL.  Stay on the path!  Do NOT drive out into the algal flats or on any of the vegetation.  Be extremely careful, as it is some of the most sensitive area on the Island.  However, it is also some of the most beautiful views.  We made it down south to the old corrals at the backside of Green Hill, and stopped to take a few pictures.  It was a really nice respite from the grind and traffic of the beach front.  I highly recommend checking it out sometime, but again, stay on the path as the sign says.  And if you break down back there, you are screwed.  It’s a long walk, and tows from back there are extremely expensive.


We re-joined the rest of society on the main beach, and started our trek back north.  Tyler hit a late afternoon trout, but it popped off in the wash.  We stopped by another camp that had just landed a large kingfish off the beach and chatted with a new friend.  There were a lot of fish caught off the beaches from Port A to South Padre by the reports, but unfortunately, the winds are coming up as I write this, and the perfect conditions have dissipated for the next week.


Well look at that folks, I didn’t talk about snapper regulations this week.  That’s a first in a while. People are happily spending money in towns all along the coast and going out and catching a few fish when the weather allows on the weekends.  Drop me a line at tarponchaser@mail.com and I’ll see you On the Rocks this weekend.  We’ll be out there.



That sinking feeling

I don’t want to start with gloom and doom, but there have been more than a few instances of boats sinking along the Texas coast recently.  I’m not sure what the cause of all the problems have been, but I’m thinking that many cases are due to failure of thru-hull fittings and inadequate plumbing below the deck.  Folks need to pay more attention to those details, and also I think boat outfitters also need to bear some of the responsibility.  I have seen many thru-hull fittings for live wells and wash down pumps that do not have a cut-off valve immediately after the fitting.  If something goes wrong with a pump or a line, you can’t shut off the torrent of water coming in, and it comes in FAST.  I highly recommend that if you have these types of fittings, that you add a PVC cut-off ball valve in the line.

Seeing less Red

I know you loyal readers are tired of me droning on about the red snapper regulations, but there’s been another interesting twist that’s come down from Capitol Hill.  The Modernizing Recreational Fisheries Management Act of 2017 includes several sections that may provide long-term relief for us millions of private recreational anglers, including Allocation, Management, Catch Limits, and a few other sundries.  The most interesting thing is the Recreational Data Collection section.  Basically, it talks about “transitioning existing federal funds toward state programs to improve fisheries harvest data.”  I’ve always contended that we need to start with better data, and I’m really surprised that Legislators are actually considering moving funding from the Feds to the States.  It’s slightly unheard of these days, moving towards State control.  I guess there was enough outcry to get someone at the very top to listen.  I’m not necessarily saying it’s a good or bad idea, it’s just, well, interesting.

Hand Grenade Redfish – Ka-boom!

Speaking of fishing, it really has been a banner year.  I take it as a sign of good management decisions from our TPW Department.  Limits of fish are being taken all over the place. I have even been able to scratch out a few fish most times the skiff ventures out into the Backyard myself.  We mainly are chasing redfish on the flats because I absolutely love seeing that top water getting blown up.  Due to the amount of floating grass, I am rigging my toppies with only a single, off-set circle hook in the back.  While it lessens the hook up rate, it allows you to work it through all the grass without getting fouled too much.  I took Jay E. and his crew, Randy and Mark from LA out last Friday, and we got into a school of about 50 redfish.  It went from a relatively quiet drift to complete mayhem in 2.2 seconds as my topwater looked like hand grenades were being thrown at it by competing redfish, and as I hooked up, the others threw out and got into the same school.  We had a triple hook-up of bruiser redfish, and actually managed to land all three despite the odds.  I love that kind of action, and as time goes on, the reds will school up more and more.  This fall is going to be off the chain.  Larry Jones also got into the action the other day, landing a solid trout in the Backyard.


Well folks, that’s a wrap for this week.  There is plenty to do out there, and if your kids come to you and tell you that they’re bored, tell them to enjoy every precious second of boredom it while it lasts.  Then tell them to go clean their room: I’m sure it’s a mess.  Drop me a line at tarponchaser@mail.com and I’ll see you On the Rocks.




The next day, we hit the streets again and did the obligatory rounds at The Menger Hotel, The Briscoe Art Museum, and of course The Alamo.  There is a “new” exhibit dedicated to Jim Bowie that reads like a Disney movie script.  Completely rated “G”.  I’m sure we made lots of friends as we moved around the exhibits, “clarifying” the history of Jim Bowie for everyone within earshot. Sanitized terms like “land speculator” and “profiteer” are covers for what Jim really was; a swindler, slave trader, document forger, friend and partner of pirate Jean Lafitte, ex-patriate, and a boozer.  No doubt he was a hero, but he was also quite a character.  People need to know those parts too.


The goal of the trip was to celebrate Roadkill Willies 5th Annual 45th birthday, so it was kind of a big one.  We caught an Uber ride over to the AT&T Center, and checked out the Spurs section and trophies before the Roger Waters show.  You could feel the absence of David Gilmore like only eating half a sandwich, but it was a good show none-the-less.

After another interesting evening, we headed back to town and immediately dumped the boat and headed out to the ski canals to cool off and say happy birthday to Rheanne (for the second time this year).  There were a lot of locals out there that it was good to see, and we headed on back down the line.  Y’all make sure to be careful out there, I witnessed a lot of buffoonery, as well as reckless boat and Jet Ski operations.


Monday found us doing a little trailer maintenance, as Zep had ordered some new tires, and we got them put on and headed back down the road.  Hopefully we won’t have to air up tires every time we want to dump the boat now.  That was a real pain. Rachel brought the kiddo and we headed back out into the Laguna for some real fishing.  There were 8.6 million people on the water, all bombing around in seemingly random patterns.  You can tell the people are new to the area, as they have “lake mentality”, and will just try to bomb straight over shoals and shallow edges of channels with no thought.  I think more damage is done to seagrass in the big three holidaze than the locals do cumulatively the rest of the 362 days of the year. Maybe another topic for another day.


Tuesday got us back out on the water (thanks Bud!) chasing after those pesky redfish.  Since the water has dropped out of the Laguna, we’re having to move into deeper flats to find them.  Many of the redfish are pushing the upper end of the slot, and the one I got yesterday was oversized and released.  About halfway through our drift, we had about a 100 black drum go right under the boat in four feet of water.  That was pretty exciting, and I popped one on a spoon.  Other than that, it was more people bombing around us, but a nice visit with new friends.


Anyhoo, we’re hitting the middle of the summer, and y’all make sure to stay hydrated out there, it’s pretty hot.  Drop me a line at tarponchaser@mail.com and I’ll see you On the Rocks next week.

Tarpon in Island Canals!

Someone sent me a picture of a tarpon the other day that was caught in the canals, and asked if that was a common occurrence.  The answer is, unfortunately, not these days, but tarpon used to be extremely common around these parts.  I mean, Port Aransas used to be called Tarpon, Texas.  They had just about disappeared, but are making a comeback for sure.  Tarpon range all throughout the Gulf of Mexico, over to Africa, and actually around the world (circumtropical).  Tarpon is also one of my favorite fish to chase, and catching one off your dock would be really cool.

Tarpon (Megalops atlanticus) in an older fish, evolutionarily speaking, that has the ability to both get oxygen from breathing water across their gills, and also from literally gulping air into their air bladder (physostomous).  That’s what they’re doing when you see them roll at the surface.  This gives them several advantages, the main one being that it allows them to exist and even thrive in oxygen poor environments.  These include deep water, back water sloughs, and even canal systems, which typically have circulation issues.

Tarpon are also very keen to estuarine areas with brackish water.  Unfortunately, since the damming of the Nueces River back in the 1950’s, there hasn’t been a steady flow of freshwater into the bays, which affect young tarpon.  What does freshwater have to do with tarpon?  Well, come to find out, A LOT.  If they don’t have a viable nursery, then the tarpon move on.  Unfortunately, due to dams being built all across the south for water supply and flood control, that has been one of the factors that has resulted in tarpon populations sagging over the past fifty or so years.

Low oxygen attraction

So, tarpon occurring in the Padre Isles canals isn’t a shocker.  Low dissolved oxygen and freshwater running into salt water (from leaky pools, sprinklers, flushing the water lines, storm drains, the waste water treatment effluent, etc.) attracts them.  They are common in the residential canals in Key West, I got one last October when I was there.  People have been catching tarpon in Nighthawk, along the King Ranch shoreline by Pita Island, and down in Baffin Bay for as long as I can remember.  They’re around, but people don’t typically target them, or other fish like snook.  Speaking of snook, there are tons of snook in the canals as well, but people don’t target them (fish under the dock with live bait, small hooks, etc).  Last cold snap we had, there were schools of stunned snook circling the lights behind Bizzy and Curmit’s houses.

Those of us that are in know also know places that small tarpon use as nurseries.  The Nueces River is the best and biggest one around, of course.  It would probably surprise you how many tarpon are in the river.  Also, waste water outfalls are very popular.  When the Allison WWTP effluent was being piped out in the Nueces Delta, you could find tarpon in there most days.  I have also seen tarpon up the Oso Creek, from about the Barney Davis outfall all the way up to the landfill (I cruised that stretch in a johnboat for a project a few years back).  The ditches next to Ransom Road in Aransas Pass, and especially the effluent outfall at the end of it, is well known to contain small tarpon almost year around.  You loyal readers will also remember a few years back when I discovered a tarpon nursery up around the Guadalupe Delta in Swan Lake.  Texas Parks and Wildlife went and caught a few and raised them to about 4 feet in one of their exhibit tanks before letting them go.  Islanders Perry Detore and Bob Bennet land several a season off our jetties, and I luck out most seasons as well.  So, there’s tarpon and snook in the canal systems, and they might be right under your dock, hanging out in the shade. It will be REALLY interesting if they ever build Park Road 22 Bridge, as that will provide them another direct route in and out of the bays.  Who knows, we might even see a manatee around these parts again soon.  Drop me a line at tarponchaser@mail.com and I’ll see you in the canals, err, On the Rocks chasing tarpon.


I hope some of you loyal readers were able to get out last weekend and take advantage of the newly extended red snapper season, although from the looks of the reports, I’m not sure how many people made it out in the 5 foot seas to go catch two fish.  And with Tropical Storm Cindy in the Gulf as of this writing, I’m not sure anyone is going to make it out this next weekend anyway.  Speaking of the storm, I’m sure my readership will be down this week as anyone that’s everyone that has a surfboard is out at the beach enjoying the waves today and for the next few days.  As I’m stuck here in the office as usual, I’m hoping that Augs is out there riding my board “Blue” right now as I type this.  That’s probably where Joey Farah is right now as well, ditching a deadline.  Lucky dog…

The red snapper mystery deepened a little a couple of days ago when someone posted the link to the notice in the Federal Register regarding the season extension.  The funny thing is, the notice of extending the season was published on June 9th, which was a full three days before the public meetings were even held in the Gulf States.  It’s as if the deal had already been struck, and the public meetings were a dog and pony show, thrown in at the last minute.  I wonder if that’s why some of the folks were nervous, as the Feds had already moved forward, and someone in the back of the room in D.C. spoke up and said, “hey wait, aren’t we supposed to have some meetings or ask the public or something?”  The back room deal had already been cut.

There are a few interesting tidbits in there as well (you can sing along with me by pointing your interwebs browser to https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/FR-2017-06-19/pdf/2017-12735.pdf The notice admits, in the same paragraph, that “red snapper are overfished” AND that they “are expanding their range to areas of Florida where they have not been prevalent for some time.”  Huh? How can it be overfished when snapper are expanding like no one has seen before?  And then this statement really gets me - Recreation fishermen generate 1.5 times the amount of economic activity than commercial fishermen, but “the commercial fishermen are enjoying an increased economic activity.”  Well no kidding!  That’s brilliant!  As you take quota from recreational fishermen and give to commercial fishermen, and they make even more money, of course they’re going to enjoy “increased economic activity”.  These people, I swear.  It’s time to dump the tea in the harbor and move on down the road.  I apologize loyal readers for ranting on about this stuff so much, but you all know it’s a passion.

Speaking of passion, unless something absolutely crazy comes up, I might actually be able to slip down the beach this weekend.  I keep looking over my right shoulder at my calendar on the wall by my computer, and so far so good.  Nothing there for Saturday.  With the water to the dunes right now, it is leveling the beach out very nicely (unfortunately, it is also seriously hampering the efforts of the turtle patrol.  Shout out to Donna, Cynthia, and crew for the record nesting year though).  It’s always fun to cruise south after a storm to check out the beach.  You just never know what has washed up.  Unfortunately, there’s also the washing-away portion of it; there is dune erosion occurring right now.  I’m watching it occur on the beaches of South Padre and North Padre on the webcams as I’m typing this.  South Padre is just not getting a break this past season with the erosion.

Well folks, hope you all had a great Father’s Day, and your summer is going well.  Drop me a line at tarponchaser@mail.com and hopefully I’ll see you On the Rocks as soon as this swell from the storm goes down to manageable levels.


The new regulations have a lot to do with the oyster/fish houses that buy from the oyster fishermen and then sell them to us.  The big one is that 30% of the oyster shells from the industry is required to be put back in the water (or pay an equivalent fee).  Texas Parks and Wildlife (TPWD) will manage the program.  While this will likely be passed on to the consumer and not incurred by the industry, it will go a long way to making oysters more sustainable.

The penalties for illegal activity are going up.  If either an oysterman collects and sells oysters that are more than 30% smaller than the required 3 inches, OR, the fish house buys them and is in possession of small oysters, then it becomes a Class B offense.  We’re talking a fine of up to $2,000 and or 180 days in jail.  Jail time for illegal oyster fishing or selling.  That’s up from about a $200 ticket.  Talk about stepping up the game!  I like it!

In addition, there is also a license buy-back provision.  There is a “sack-tax” where a small portion of the sale of a sack of oysters gets collected into a fund, and that fund will be used to buy excessive oyster licenses back and decommission them.  There are way too many oyster fishermen out there on the water.  While I know that fleet consolidation can be a slippery slope, in this case it’s a good thing.  There’s a provision for reversing it.

Another great provision that just got added literally this morning is a 300 foot buffer from any shoreline.  In the past, the oyster boats would wait for a high tide and push their boats up as shallow as they could get, and hit the shallowest of reefs.  The reefs right off the shore are very important, as these reefs provide protection from winds eroding the shoreline.  Plus these reefs protect the seagrasses behind them, and allow a nice nursery area to form along our shores.  This ecosystem is very important to the life in our bays, and the oystermen were knocking it down just to cash in.  No more…

Remember, partners like Dr. Jenni at HRI with her Sink Your Shucks oyster recycling program and the HTFT Committee I chair for CCA-Texas has spent literally millions of dollars partnering with TPWD restoring oyster reefs from Copano to the Sabine.  While we have been restoring reefs because it’s the right thing to do, the oyster industry has been largely un-regulated, and were basically running amuck through our Texas bays.  These steps in the right direction will help tighten things drastically, as well as provide a self-sustaining component to the industry.  Of course it should have happened long ago, but it’s moving.

Another interesting bill in the Legislature right now is HCR 105.  This is a resolution “encouraging Congress to pass legislation allowing the State of Texas to manage the Gulf of Mexico red snapper fishery out to 200 nautical miles.”  While I’m pretty sure Congress is going to ignore this resolution from Texas, I’m seeing the City of Orange Beach (AL) and other coastal communities make similar resolutions.  People are tired of oppressive, unnecessary Federal regulations that impacts tourist dollars, and are making their voices heard.  About time!

Topdog and I actually made it out to Packery the other day after work, and I got a linesider on the very first cast.  Thanks to Tasha and Chris Shaded for being at the right place at the right time and getting a pic.  Next time maybe I’ll try smiling.  Drop me a line at tarponchaser@mail.com and I’ll see you On the Rocks!



The Island Moon Newspaper | 14646 Compass Drive, Suite 3 | Corpus Christi, TX 78418 | (361) 949-7700 | email: editor@islandmoon.com